Monday 25 June 2012

Beaded Rib Headband

Please note: this pattern is now available to download as a pdf from Craftsy for $2. It will still be freely available on this blog, but I thought people might want the opportunity to download a pdf version.

Unisex headband in an interesting textured rib pattern. The pictured headband was knitted with my handspun yarn, but I suggest a commercially available alternative. Instructions are given for two sizes: ladies' and men's. Instructions for smaller size are given first, followed by instructions for larger size in brackets. 

Beaded rib headband free knitting pattern by Littletheorem. Handspun yarn, quick easy knit.

Yarn: Handspun Icelandic yarn OR Solitude Yarns Icelandic, 1 skein. Approx 75 (90) metres of yarn required.
Needles: 4 mm/US 6 dpns
Gauge: 22 stitches = 4” in stocking stitch.
Dimensions: Small: stretches to fit 22” head. Large: stretches to fit 24” head
Notation:
CO = cast on
k = knit
p = purl
dpn = double pointed needle.

Beaded rib headband free knitting pattern by Littletheorem. Handspun yarn, quick easy knit.

 
Directions
Beaded Rib Pattern:
Round 1: *k3, p2* to end of round.
Round 2: *k1, p1, k1, p2* to end of round.

CO 100 (120) stitches over 3 dpns and join in the round.

Work in beaded rib pattern until headband measures 3.5 (4)”

Bind off all stitches and weave in any loose ends and you’re done!
 

16 comments:

  1. Can this be knitted on circular needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You could either knit it on a short circular needle or use magic loop with a longer one.

      Delete
    2. The pattern calls for using double pointed needles (dpn) which results in the same product as a circular needle, except ordinarily dpn's are used when the circle (number of stitches) will be too small to fit comfortably on a circular needle. If you have a 16" long circular needle, 100 stitches might be okay on it. I use 4 dpn's and work with the 5th, but it's a matter of preference.

      Delete
  2. I love your patterns thank you for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Comments like this really brighten up my day!! x

      Delete
  3. I am not familiar with this yarn. Is it #4 worsted weight? Love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your question! It's actually knit with handspun yarn. Any double knitting (dk) yarn would be a good substitute though.

      Delete
  4. I knitted quite a few headbands on circular needles...love it...works up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can this headband be knitted in bulky yarn?
    Thank you
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes it definitely could! I would cast on half the number of stitches if you're using a really bulky yarn, and maybe 60 or 70 stitches if it's not too bulky.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much!! I thought it would but I would have never remembered to only cast on half the stitches. I think I am going to start one tonight. I appreciate you very much!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love knitting, but new to headbands. The one I just made was k2p2 and when I bound off, it was too tight and did not stretch. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question!

      I would try using a knitted bind off, and use needles that are a few sizes bigger than the ones you were knitting with.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  8. Love this pattern, how many should I cast on if I want it to measure 18"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. when binding off use another short dpn and knit the first bindoff. twist the right needle twice (clockwise for knit and anticlockwise for purl) then knit the next stitch and bind off. For next purl put your yarn infront and twist the right needle twice, purl and bind off. For my k2,p2 bindoff, I twist twice for first and once for second stitch. Try this for a not tight bindoff

    ReplyDelete